Dental implants are a long-term solution for San Diego patients missing one or more teeth. Unlike other dental procedures, placing a dental implant will provide patients with a lifetime replacement for their missing teeth. Dental implants include three parts:
- Implant: A small titanium screw that replaces a tooth root.
- Abutment: Small metal piece that connects the implant to the prosthetic tooth (or teeth).
- Prosthetic: Crown, bridge, or complete set of teeth, the prosthetic teeth are often made of ceramic and formed to fit the space left by your natural tooth or teeth.
After the dental implant is placed, it will take at least a few months to heal under the gum. After this healing period, your restorative dentist will place your permanent tooth/teeth.
Caring for Your Dental Implants
One of the main factors that predict how long your dental implants will last is how well you care for them. San Diego patients who have dental implants will need to:
- Come in for regular check-ups and cleanings.
- Continue their normal dental hygiene routine of brushing and flossing.
- Mention any discomfort during a regular check-up or make an appointment to ensure that your dental implants are as comfortable as possible.
While dental implants are sturdy and intended to last a lifetime, you may need to return to the dentist for small adjustments to make them as comfortable as your natural teeth.
Tips for Healthy Dental Implants
This is a tough question because even your natural teeth can require repair if you don’t care for them properly. Taking care of your dental implants includes being mindful of:
- Food you eat: Hard nuts or ice can damage your natural teeth and may also damage your dental implants.
- Removing food stuck in your teeth: Gum disease and bacteria can continue to build up with dental implants. This can lead to bone loss, gum recession and gum disease if you do not brush and floss regularly, at least once daily.
- Healthy habits: Drinking soda, smoking, and clenching or grinding your teeth can cause damage to your dental implants in the same way as they do to your natural teeth.
Dr. Beck recommends that patients take care of their teeth the same way they would their natural teeth to ensure the longevity of your dental implants.
Actual patient of Dr. Beck’s
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dr. Beck suggests dental implants for San Diego patients who want to restore their smile and the function of their natural teeth. Advancements in dental implant placement have resulted in:
- Minimal discomfort during and after the procedure.
- Faster recovery time.
- A nearly 100% success rate.
- Minimal complications.
- More comfort than traditional dentures.
What surprises most patients about dental implants is the relatively pain-free procedure. Other than a few days of recovery time, there is minimal discomfort. Although implants will require at least a few months of healing, patients will feel back to normal soon after their procedure.
To schedule your dental implant consultation with Dr. Beck, call our San Diego office at 858.635.6700.