The Lead Surgical Assistant’s overall responsibility is to oversee the back office and manage clinically-related tasks to ensure seamless delivery of patient care to meet daily production goals. This includes training of new clinical staff, preparing for treatment delivery, maintenance of patient records, back-office organization, and overall maintenance of equipment. The Lead Surgical Assistant must also work cohesively and efficiently with other employees to attain practice goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: (Other duties may be assigned).
- Prepare patient, sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials and treatment rooms for delivery of patient care, and assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Acquire dental diagnostic x-rays, including periapical, bitewing, panoramic and conebeam volumetric CT (CBVCT).
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient records.
- Provide postoperative instructions prescribed by dentist and ensure post-operative phone calls are made to patients in a timely manner
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, describing recommended procedure and their benefits and limitations, and postoperative instructions.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with established procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain All OSHA standards, MSDS logs, sharps and hazardous waste removal logs, and other regulatory compliance matters as related to delivery of patient care.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
- Order and monitor dental supplies and equipment inventory.
- Clean and polish removable appliances.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
*Duties and assignments may change at the discretion of the supervisor
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR SATISFACTORY JOB PERFORMANCE
Microsoft word, excel, use of email and email attachments including JPEG, PDF, TIFF, DOC, XL
Must have current CPR & California Radiology certificates
Completion of California mandated 8 hour infection control course
RDA and coronal polishing certifications preferred
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES DESIRED
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, integrity, confidentiality, diplomacy and flexibility.
- Ability to communicate clearly, accurately and effectively with a broad variety of people in person and via telephone and email.
- Professional, polished, business-like demeanor.
- Ability to recognize patients and ideally recall their names; ability to approach patients in a pleasant, helpful manner.
- Initiative; Motivation; Perseverance; First impression; Creativity; Confidence; proficient time-management, Energy, Organization, Dependability, Responsible.
- An understanding of general dentistry, other dental specialties, and customer service is required to achieve company-established objectives.