Surgical Assistant/Marketing Director
SCHEDULE: Monday 9-3, Tuesday-Thursday 8-5, Overtime may be required and assistant should expect to stay until job is complete for the day and setup for the following day. Some additional days may be available and occasionally required, sometimes at an out of office location. Advanced notice will be given. This position is considered Full Time and requires a minimum of 30 hours/week.
The Surgical Assistant/Marketing Director position has two distinct roles as a Surgical Assistant when required for patient care, and as Marketing Director when not required for patient care. As Marketing Director, the overall responsibility is to maintain and grow relationships with referring offices to continually improve referral relations, influx of new patients, and quality of referrals. Constant tracking of referral sources for new patients and developing outreach programs based on these trends is a key element of this position.
As Surgical Assistant, it is required to work cohesively with all office personnel, particularly the Lead Surgical Assistant on clinically-related tasks to ensure seamless delivery of patient care to meet daily production goals. This includes preparing for treatment delivery, maintenance of patient records, back-office organization, sterilization, overall maintenance of equipment. All team members must also work cohesively and efficiently with other employees to attain practice goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned).
As Marketing Director:
- Consistently increase new patient referrals
- Serve as the physical face of the practice to the dental community
- Strengthen relationships with our current referring offices
- Physically visit referring offices quarterly, and more often as needed
- Check in with referring offices regularly to ensure excellent customer service and strengthen relationships
- Get to know key staff members by name. Introduce self as their point of contact for any issues or concerns that may arise; serve as concierge to our office.
- Identify offices to be notified of upcoming events, send holiday cards, etc.
- Build rapport with potential new offices-this may include lunch and learn programs for referring offices or one-on-one training for referral office staff to improve the number and quality of referrals as well as overall relationship with office
- Make the practice and our services well known and well thought of in the community
- Track referral sources each week & monitor referring trends
- Target marketing based on flat or falling trends
As Surgical Assistant:
- Prepare patient, sterilize and disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials and treatment rooms for delivery of patient care, and assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Acquire dental diagnostic x-rays, including periapical, bitewing, panoramic and conebeam volumetric CT (CBVCT).
- Document dental care services and conversations with patients regarding the delivery of patient care, by charting in patient records.
- Ensure patient prescriptions are received by pharmacy prior to date of surgery
- Provide postoperative instructions prescribed by dentist and ensure post-operative phone calls are made to patients in a timely manner
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative instructions.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with established procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain All OSHA standards, MSDS logs, sharps and hazardous waste removal logs, and other regulatory compliance matters as related to delivery of patient care.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
- Order and monitor dental supplies and equipment inventory.
- Clean and polish removable appliances.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
*Duties and assignments may change at the discretion of the supervisor
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR SATISFACTORY JOB PERFORMANCE
Microsoft word, excel, use of email and email attachments including JPEG, PDF, TIFF, DOC, XL
Must have current CPR, California Radiology certificate, and completion of the state-required 8 hour infection control course (must be completed within first 6 months of employment if not yet completed at the time of hire).
Experience in the dental field and broad understanding of procedures and dental specialties
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES DESIRED
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact, integrity, confidentiality, diplomacy and flexibility. Ability to communicate clearly, accurately and effectively with a broad variety of people via telephone and via email. Professional, polished, business-like demeanor. Ability to recognize patients and ideally recall their names; ability to approach patients in a pleasant, helpful manner.
- Initiative; Motivation; Perseverance; First impression; Creativity; Confidence; Energy.
- Self-motivated & able to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in the dental field and broad understanding of procedures & dental specialties
- Must have reliable method of transportation for marketing activities
- Sick Pay (Refer to company employee handbook for details.)
- Reduced Medical Insurance Premiums
- Paid Vacation (accrued-Refer to company employee handbook for details.)
- Paid Holidays (Refer to company employee handbook for details.)
- Weekly & Monthly Bonus Programs