Are Dental Implants Right For You?
Candidates for dental implants come in many different forms, as people of all ages experience loose or missing teeth, for a myriad of reasons. Whether you are choosing dental implants to improve your smile, or you need to have a tooth or teeth replaced to restore your chewing function, you can rest assured that Dr. Beck’s experience in dental implant placement will leave you feeling whole again.
While the only way to truly know if you are a good candidate for dental implants is to visit Dr. Beck for an exam and consultation, there are some things you can consider that will help you know how likely you are to qualify for this tooth-replacement option.
- Your medical health history matters. When you visit Dr. Beck for your initial consultation, she will review your entire medical history. This includes any major surgeries you may have had, hospitalizations, any medications or supplements you are taking, and any reactions you may have had to medications or other materials in the past. In general, dental implant candidates will be physically healthy and able to commit to the entire implant process. However, don’t assume that your particular medical condition is a contraindication for treatment. Your care just may need to be modified. Dr. Beck has treated many patients with significant medical concerns and works with their physicians to ensure their care is successfully completed in a safe manner.
- Have you had loose or missing teeth for an extended period of time? This is an important condition to consider as the longer your teeth have been loose or missing, the more likely it will be that you will require additional procedures like bone grafting or gum grafting in order to prepare your mouth to receive dental implants.
- How healthy are your gums? It is important that your gums are healthy prior to the placement of your dental implants. If you have experienced periodontal disease, Dr. Beck can restore the health of your gums and get you ready to receive your new implants.
- Do you use tobacco products? Just like tobacco products affect your physical health, they can also be detrimental to your oral health. If you use tobacco products, your dental implants are more likely to have complications. It’s important to be honest with Dr. Beck about your tobacco use so the two of you can develop a plan to ensure your dental implants are a success.
What is the Dental Implants Recovery Process?
After dental implant surgery, the recovery process is fairly simple, as Dr. Beck uses only the latest, most minimally invasive technology available to encourage a speedy recovery. But because general anesthesia will be used during your procedure, you will be released to the care of a trusted friend or family member who can ensure you get safely home. Additionally, Dr. Beck will provide you with detailed post-operative instructions, which will aid in your recovery. Some of the post-operative instructions will include:
- Do not disturb the wounds
- Control minimal bleeding by biting down on gauze
- Control minor swelling by applying ice packs to the cheeks
- Stay hydrated
- Take pain medication as directed by Dr. Beck
- Take prescribed antibiotics to protect against infection
- Maintain proper oral hygiene as directed through each stage of your recovery
- Do not participate in any extreme exercise for at least one week after your surgery
If you experience excessive bleeding, swelling, or discomfort at any time, be sure to call Dr. Beck to discuss further steps.
Video: Watch Dr. Beck explain the dental implant healing process.
How Much do Dental Implants Cost?
The price of implants can vary depending how many teeth need replaced, the current health of your bone and gum, and how long the tooth has been missing. Because there are many things to consider when planning for dental implants, it is impossible to quote the exact cost without a consultation. During your visit, we will perform a comprehensive evaluation, discuss all your options, and review all treatment costs so you know exactly how much your treatment will cost before starting. We will also help you maximize any insurance benefits you may have and work with you to help you get the treatment you need.
Video: Watch Dr. Beck explain the factors included in the total cost of dental implants.
Do Dental Implants Hurt?
While the idea of dental surgery can be scary, have no fear. Most San Diego patients experience very minimal discomfort afterwards and are often surprised by how easily they heal. Many patients choose to have the procedure performed with just numbing the area, although we do offer options for sedation to help make your procedure worry-free. Your comfort is our number one priority and we will do whatever we can to make your experience as painless and easy as possible.
Placement of Dental Implants in San Diego
Do you need dental implants in San Diego? Then look no further. Dr. Tina Beck specializes in dental implant surgery. With the help of modern technology, including the use of three-dimensional radiographic imaging on our in-house digital conebeam CT, we are able to minimize potential complications. With this information we are able to select the appropriate size implant for you and discuss any additional procedures which may be required to ensure a successful and safe treatment outcome. We also work closely with your dentist to ensure a beautiful, natural feeling, long lasting tooth replacement solution.
In some cases, a minor bone graft may be required to improve the strength of your jaw and ensure the longevity of your implant.
Ready to schedule your consultation with Dr. Beck? Have additional questions? Call our office in San Diego at (858) 635-6700! We’d more than happy to assist you with whatever you need.
Additional Dental Implant Topics